St John's Wood House 1868

Photo of St John's Wood House or Granite House taken in 1868

St John's Wood House 1868 St John’s Wood House, also known as The Granite House, 1868.

'This stone building was once the centre-piece of a large estate encompassing the whole of St John's Wood. The 52 acre property was purchased from the crown for seventy pounds and four shillings in 1858 by John Frederick McDougall who sold it to Arthur Martin five years later. Daniel Rowntree Somerset acquired it the following year. Using granite quarried from the hills behind, he had constructed a U-shaped stone residence on the site by 1868 when ...'
Excerpt from 'Ashgrove Heritage Tour': Dick Paten, 2006

See also St John's Wood House c.a. 1930